Project: Steel/Glass Canopy
Client: Delta Hotel, Ottawa (Quest Project Management)
Type of work: Abrasive Blasting and Finish Coating of Steel Canopy Structure
Produce a long lasting, corrosion resistant, aesthetically pleasing metallic finish on a steel canopy for a major hotel in downtown Ottawa.
For this project Indu-Kote Systems was recommended by David Walker of Avid Media, a NACE certified coating inspector and technical representative of Tnemec Company (the specified coating supplier) to install their high performance fluoropolymer urethane coating system.
The steel structure was fabricated at a local steel shop. As with all steel of this variety, it had a layer of corrosion and mil scale that needed to be addressed prior to coating.
- Steel structure was to be blast cleaned to "Near White Metal" SSPC-SP 10/NACE No. 2, Near-White Metal. This is critical to maintaining good mechanical bond and corrosion control with the specified zinc primer.
- For galvanic corrosion protection, the first coat applied to the properly prepared steel was Tnemec's Series 90-1K97, Tneme-Zinc - an advanced technology, single-component, moisture-cured, zinc-rich primer providing extraordinary performance, user-friendly and easy application. This coating was applied by airless (hydraulic) spray to produce proper atomization and film build.
- The second (intermediate) coat applied was Tnemec's Series 73 Endura-shield Aliphatic Urethane. This coating was applied electrostatically to provide an even, efficient finish without unnecessary waste.
- The third coat applied was series 1078 Fluoronar Metallic. This is an advanced thermoset solution fluoropolymer. It is described as "an ultra-durable metallic or pearlescent finish with user friendly application. It has outstanding color and gloss retention even in the most severe exposures." This coating was also applied with our electrostatic spray process.
- A final coat of Series 1079 Fluoronar Metallic clear coat was applied. This clear fluoropolymer coating is available in a low-luster, satin finish and provides additional long-term gloss and colour retention properties. Interestingly, the clear had to be applied via conventional air-spray as the best means to achieve proper atomization of the coating. The coating has a photo-reactive dye that assists in providing a uniform application. The dye disappears over several hours when exposed to sunlight
- Aesthetics - A lustrous metallic finish creating an eye-catching focal point for the hotel's main entrance.
- Protection - Cathodic corrosion protection over a near white metal blast profile will provide years of worry-free service. The high performance fluoropolymer coatings provide unsurpassed exterior durability and longevity.
- Warranty - A 15 year written warranty covering gloss and colour retention by the manufacturer for a time tested and proven coating system.
"For specialized work of this nature, I always recommend using trained, professional contractors - such as Indu-Kote Systems - to install our coating systems."
Tnemec Co. Ltd.
"IKS was cooperative and professional in their approach to finishing this project."
Quest Project Management
Email your coating questions to us. If we can't answer them immediately, we will research the answers through our network of industry experts and professional journals.
Indu-Kote Systems Inc.
85 Ferrier Street, Unit 13
Markham, Ontario L3R 2Y9
t: 905.475.6454 / 1.866.905.6454